Thursday, June 30, 2005

Sensuality in Dance

Guest Blogger: Lilla
http://www.lilladance.com

To me, sensuality is an engagement of the senses in a pleasurable way. It can be visual, auditory, tactile, or olfactory. Something that stimulates the senses in a pleasant and enjoyable way. Feeling a soft fur is sensual, smelling apple pie, listening to relaxing music, or watching a beautiful sunset. Sometimes, it is connected with sexuality, and sometimes it is purely sensual with no sexual component.

Sexuality is, as the word implies, purely about sex. It is that aspect of ourselves which is connected to our sexual arousal and attraction, sexual thoughts and feelings, and sexual behavior and actions. It is the expression of our mating instincts.

Sensuality and sexuality can be connected, but don't have to be. Something can be sensual without necessarily being sexual. For example, I can have a very pleasurable massage with essential oils and soft music, which is a very sensual experience, without having any thoughts of sex and without any sexuality on the part of my massage therapist.

I see dance the same way. Dance can be sensual without needing to be sexual. It stimulates and pleases the senses. Some people may perceive it sexually, if that is their tendency, or if the dancer is putting sexuality out there. But it can also be purely sensual without the sexuality.

Sexuality tends to generally include sensuality, because it is a physical act and sensation which make it innately sensual. It's hard to imagine the sexual without the sensual, at least not in a healthy way. But the sensual without the sexual? Definitely possible. The constant interchanging of the two terms in common language is frustrating. They are connected, but not the same thing.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NSU - 4efer, 5210 - rulez

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Kira's Oasis said...

I sure hope this page never comes "down" because I have linked to it from my website because it is so fantastically written. Thank you so much!!! Kira www.KirasOasis.com Dayton, Ohio

4:39 PM  
Blogger Dancing Moth said...

I originally found this blog through this post, while I was researching and trying to get my thoughts in order to plan a workshop on senses and sensuality in (belly) dance. I agree with Kira's Oasis - Thank you!

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi dee hi rhinestonebdla.blogspot.com owner found your blog via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your website http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my site. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
I'm planning to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on
everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
There are so many choices out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Look at my page: Great Leg Muscles

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home